A Levels, Foundation or STPM
It is after your SPM and what is next to come? Should you proceed to A levels, Foundation or STPM? What are your choices if you would like to continue your education? Many student are not aware of the advantages and disadvantages when they choose their educational path? Some are even confuse and make the wrong move.
International Foundation course will only be useful if students who are certain to enter a particular universitie or college. Many colleges offers foundation studies but reputable universities such Oxford and Cambridge prefers students with A Levels qualifications. A Levels’ qualifications are world recognized. The qualification is recognized for all universities around the world. Most of the overseas universities do require students to complete their A Levels before enrolling. STPM is equivalent to A levels… It is not easy to sit for STPM because the standard is higher compared to SPM or Foundation. Once you have accepted into STPM, students can apply into any government universities. Usually Government universities will have special placement for STPM students. If you looking to study medicine locally, please choose STPM because it is easier to be accepted into many local universities
Advantages and Disadvantages of STPM
- 2 years duration
- Tougher compared to SPM or foundation studies
- Students have better placement into local universities compared to SPM students.
- IT is compulsory if you are looking to study Medical Course
- Only recognized in Malaysia and not worldwide
- It is equivalent to A levels but there is no international recognition for STPM
- Cheaper compared to A levels
Advantages and Disadvantages of A Levels
- World recognition to reputable universities
- More choices when choosing the right universities or courses. Very versatile
- Some universities enforce students to sit for A levels before enrolling first year in University course
- Tougher compared to SPM or International Foundation
- 2 years duration and might be waste of time.
- 1 year duration into the first year of universities
- Usually foundation is only applicable for the particular universities and this qualification might not be transferable
- Students who wants to study medicine might not benefit in the foundation course because it is compulsory to undergo A Levels or STPM at minimum
- International Foundation is easier to study compared to A levels. The failure rate is less compared to A levels
If you have decided t pursue your study in any particular field or university, students just need to enroll in Foundation studies. This is because it saves time and some foundation studies prepare students well for the first year of college education. However, if you are not certain about your educational path, we would recommend either A levels or STPM. A levels will prepare you for private universities or to study abroad. STPM are more suitable for students who wish to pursue their education in local universities or in medical field